Workers’ Compensation Lawyers Ridgeland · Jackson Throughout Mississippi

Top 10 Questions About Workers’ Compensation in Mississippi

Answers you can trust from experienced Mississippi workers' comp attorneys

Have you been hurt on the job in Mississippi? Not sure what to do? Or where to go to get the benefits you deserve? Finding accurate information can sometimes be a challenge. We know because we've worked as workers' compensation attorneys in Mississippi for a combined 30 years at Tabor Law Firm, P.A. in Jackson.

We know how frustrating it can be to deal with unresponsive officials or anyone else who refuses to help after a serious injury at work. That's why we want to help. Below, you'll find the answers to the top 10 questions about workers' compensation in Mississippi.

Top 10 Questions About Workers' Compensation

Don't see your specific question? Don't worry. Simply schedule a free consultation at our office. We'll be happy to answer any questions you have and get right to work on your claim.

There's a reason why people trust Tabor Labor Firm. We have the knowledge, the experience and the drive to win. Contact us to learn more about what we can do for you.

What is workers' compensation in Mississippi?

Workers' compensation is a state-mandated program created to provide benefits to workers who cannot work due to a work-related injury or illness that results in missed time totaling more than five (5) working days. A type of insurance, sick or injured workers are eligible to receive workers' compensation benefits regardless of who was at fault if that injury or illness is work related. Injured workers receive a maximum amount under Mississippi's workers' compensation system. Injured workers can collect benefits for up to 450 weeks or the total amount allowed, whichever comes first.

Return to top

Where do I apply for workers' compensation benefits in Mississippi?

You will need to notify two parties if you have a long-term injury or illness eligible for workers' compensation benefits. First, you will need to notify your employer. Second, you will also need to notify the Mississippi Workers' Compensation Commission. We recommend making such notifications in writing. That way, there's no questions later about what you did or didn't say. We can help you apply in writing to improve your chances of receiving workers' compensation benefits. We know how to fill out the appropriate forms and what information to include.

Return to top

How much time do I have to file a workers' compensation claim in Mississippi?

You must notify your employer within 30 days of your injury or illness in order to be eligible for workers' compensation benefits in Mississippi. If no disability benefits are paid, you  have two years from the date of injury or illness in which to file a claim for benefits. If you're not sure about whether or not you can still submit a workers' compensation claim, simply contact our law firm and ask us. That's what we're here for - to help you when you need us most.

Return to top

What expenses are covered by workers' compensation benefits?

Workers' compensation benefits cover a wide range of expenses while you cannot work due to a workplace injury or illnesses. Intended to serve as supplemental income while you cannot work, workers' compensation benefits are generally equal to two-thirds of your weekly pay. In addition, workers' compensation benefits cover the costs of your medical treatment for your work-related injury or illness.

Return to top

Who decides if I'm eligible to receive workers' compensation benefits in Mississippi?

Your employer's insurance company will initially decide if you're eligible to receive workers' compensation benefits. That's because your company's insurance provider is the one responsible for paying you workers' comp benefits.

Return to top

Can I appeal my workers' compensation claim if it's denied?

Yes. You can and should appeal your denied workers' compensation claim in Mississippi. If you became ill or injured at work, you deserve to be compensated.

Return to top

How much time do I have to appeal my denied workers' compensation claim?

In general, you have two years from the date of injury to appeal your denied workers' compensation claim in Mississippi. However, in some cases, the deadline may be sooner. It's also always better to take legal action as soon as possible. That way, any evidence necessary to support your claim will hopefully be fresh and readily available, including photographs of defective equipment, hazardous conditions or statements from eyewitnesses.

Return to top

Who rules on my appeal for my denied workers' compensation claim?

A Mississippi Workers' Compensation Commission judge will rule on your denied claim. Your employer's insurance company will then be notified and asked to respond in writing with an explanation for why it denied your claim. If a settlement cannot be reached, the judge will then schedule a court hearing.

Return to top

Do I have any other options if my workers' compensation appeal is denied?

Yes. If a Mississippi Workers' Compensation Commission judge denies your appeal, you can request a hearing with the full three-member Mississippi Workers' Compensation Commission Commissioners. This request for a hearing with the full commission must be submitted in writing within 20 days of the judge's ruling. If the full commission upholds the judge's ruling, you can then appeal their decision through the state's court system. You have 30 days to appeal the full commission's decision and can appeal your denial all the way to the Mississippi Supreme Court.

Return to top

Why should I hire a Mississippi workers' compensation attorney?

Navigating Mississippi's workers' compensation system and legal system can be extremely complicated. And if you make a mistake, you could miss out on important benefits you are legally entitled to receive under state law. Don't take chances with your future after your workplace injury or illness. Make sure you take your claim seriously right from the start. Talk to an experienced, Mississippi workers' compensation attorney at Tabor Law Firm, P.A. today.

Return to top

Category: Posts

    Contact Us
    We'll get your situation under control

    208 W Jackson St #100
    Ridgeland, MS 39157

    200 N Congress St Suite 112
    Jackson, MS 39201

    Get Directions